The Curious Creators of Christine McConnell’s Show
Christine McConnell became an Instagram sensation by dressing up for photos alongside macabre and decadent cakes and other tasty treats from her kitchen, catching the eye of Netflix. Last year, the streaming network debuted The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell, a series imagining McConnell (playing herself) living in a haunted manor with a mummified cat, a reanimated raccoon, werewolf, and other creatures, all brought to life by an amazing team of puppeteers and voice actors.
Moderated by series co-creator and Muppet director Kirk Thatcher, the panel will also include the voices and puppeteers behind the show’s supporting cast, as they discuss behind-the-scenes antics, and their own creative careers.
- Christine McConnell (co-creator, playing herself) is a self-taught photographer, stylist and baker, who showcases her work with a macabre twist to nearly 500,000 Instagram followers. She has been commissioned to create custom cakes to promote films by Tim Burton, the Alien movie francise, Netflix’s Stranger Things, and many other projects. She wrote and provided photos for the book Deceptive Desserts: A Lady’s Guide to Baking Bad.
- Colleen Smith (Rose and Cousin Evie, voice and puppeteer) teaches and direct shows at The Groundlings, with TV credits including Selfie, How I Met Your Mother, King of The Hill, No, You Shut Up!and The Office, and on film, played multiple puppet characters in The Happytime Murders.
- Drew Massey (Edgar, voice and puppeteer) film resumé includes: The Happytime Murders, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Men in BlackI and II, The Hangover, Doctor Dolittle, The Muppets’ Wizard of Oz, Darjeeling Limited, and Team America.
- Mick Ignis (Edgar, suit performer) regularly plays not-so-human characters including the lead in the fan film Severus Snape and the Marauders, the title monsters in The Sandman and Cucuy: The Boogeyman, and a variety of murderous demons on the IFC series Stan Against Evil.
- Michael Oosterom (Rankle, voice and puppeteer) has provided puppetry for feature films The Muppets, Where The Wild Things Are, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and on TV for Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Sid & Marty Krofft’s Sigmund & The Sea Monsters, No, You Shut Up!, and The Jim Henson Company’s Puppet Up!
- Moderator: Kirk Thatcher (co-creator and executive producer) is an Emmy Award-winning writer/producer, director, as well as a creature maker and designer for both film and television, with credits on Return of the Jedi, Star Trek II, Star Trek III, E.T., Poltergeist, and Gremlins. Kirk has co-written several Muppet productions, and co-directed The Muppet Show Live, which played at the Hollywood Bowl, and London’s O2 Arena.